REGISTERED NURSE - FORENSIC PROGRAM - 898
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences (Ontario Shores) is a public hospital that provides inpatient, outpatient and consultation services for people with complex mental illness. Our patients benefit from a recovery-oriented environment of care built on compassion, inspiration and hope. We engage in research, education and advocacy initiatives to advance the mental health care system and are proud to work with partners across the continuum of care. If you thrive on innovation and positive change, and share our vision of Recovering Best Health, Nurturing Hope and Inspiring Discovery, Ontario Shores is the place for you.
Division: This position is part of the OPSEU bargaining unit
Job Title: REGISTERED NURSE - FORENSIC PROGRAM
Number of Vacancies: 5
Classification: Registered Nurse 2
Employment Type: Part-time
Contract End Date
Hours of Work: Part-time (Up to 22.5 Hours per week) Days/Nights/Evenings/Weekends
Location: Main Site - 700 Gordon Street - Whitby, ON L1N 5S9 CA (Primary)
Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences is seeking a Registered Nurse (RN) to work in our Forensic Program. As an RN, you will provide specialized care to patients with complex mental illnesses using a recovery focused model of care built upon compassion, inspiration and hope. To engage in a leadership role and to be an active and equal member of the interprofessional team. To perform Charge nurse responsibilities and may be given the opportunity to apply to the Patient Care Facilitator role.
The position being recruited for is within the Forensics Program, which consists of a total of 138 in-patient beds and serves approximately 120 patients in the Forensic Outpatient Service. The Secure Forensic Service, which consists of 3 units with a total of 62 beds, provides assessment, treatment and rehabilitation services for patients who are ordered by the courts or the Ontario Review Board (ORB) and who require accommodation at a higher security level. The General Forensic Service, which consists of 3 units with a total of 76 beds, provides assessment, treatment and rehabilitation services for patients who are ordered by courts or Ontario Review Board (ORB) and who require accommodation at a lower security level. The Forensic Outpatient Service provides assessment, treatment and rehabilitation services for patients who are ordered by the courts or the Ontario Review Board (ORB) who reside in the community.
Please Note: Although the posted vacancy is for the Forensic Assessment and Rehabilitation Unit (FARU), all Registered Nurses must have the ability to work in any area of the Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences as patient needs dictate.
Qualifications Required and Preferred
Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario in good standing.
- Current CPR – Health Care Provider
- Demonstrated knowledge of College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) Standards of Practice and commitment to maintaining reflective practice standards as described by the CNO.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Canadian Standards for Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing, as well as relevant policies and legislation, such as the Mental Health Act and Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team and demonstrate competence in performance of the nurse facilitator/care coordinator role, case management and clinical assessment and intervention and documentation of care.
- Proven excellent interpersonal skills and effective oral/written communication skills.
- Ability to implement and model the Recovery philosophy in all aspects of care as a Recovery Champion
- Demonstrated working knowledge/experience with computers
- Meditech experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and preceptorship role.
- Demonstrated excellent organizational, problem-solving, decision-making, conflict resolution and critical thinking abilities.
- Ability to perform the physical demands of the position.
- Proven good attendance record with the capability of maintaining this same standard.
- Must be available to work various daytime, evening and week-end shifts
- BScN is preferred.
- It is highly encouraged that staff complete the CNA certification in Psychiatric/Mental Health and/or Gerontological Nursing within five years of hire date
- Recent psychiatric nursing and/or forensic experience in a mental health facility or service is preferred.
- The ability to work with clients of diverse ethno-racial and cultural backgrounds and proficiency in a second language.
- Research experience is an asset.
To apply, please click here.
Personal information you provide to Ontario Shores Centre for Mental Health Sciences (Ontario Shores) is collected pursuant to the Public Hospitals Act R.S.O 1990, c. P.40. It will be used for the purpose of determining eligibility for employment. At all times it will be treated in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have questions about the collection of your personal information, contact the Leader, Privacy & Access at 700 Gordon St. Whitby, ON L1N 5S9; 905-430-4055 ext. 6712 or refer to the Privacy & Access pages on the Ontario Shores website. Upon request, individual accommodation can be provided to applicants who meet the required qualifications outlined in the job descriptions, and have been invited for an interview. For questions and concerns, please contact Human Resources at 905.430.4055 ext. 6191.